My favorite/must-have Terminal Hacks for Snow Leopard… which is still working on my Lion OS, thankfully!
1) Show the stacks highlight during mouseovers
When navigating a Grid stack using the keyboard, the selected item is highlighted. Using the Terminal commands below, the highlight also appears when you mouseover an item in the stack.
defaults write com.apple.dock mouse-over-hilite-stack -boolean YES
2) Suck effect (hidden from users) – when minimizing windows
defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string suck
defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string scale
Genie effect (Mac OS X Default):
defaults write com.apple.dock mineffect -string genie
Do one of the above and then of course do “killall Dock” afterwards.
3) New list Stack with larger icons
defaults write com.apple.dock use-new-list-stack -bool YES
defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu YES
5) Enable Quit In Finder: This is a very useful command for anyone who does a lot of fiddling and needs to quit Finder.
defaults write com.apple.finder QuitMenuItem -bool YES
6) Disables the unexpectedly quit dialog that normally appears when an application crashes. Replace “none” with “prompt” to enable again.
defaults write com.apple.CrashReporter DialogType none
If you want the list of new Terminal Hacks for Lion OS you can visit my post here: Lion OS Terminal Hacks